COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Information for Faculty and Staff
Updated Friday, April 3, 2020
- NEW (April 3, 2020): For tenure-line faculty in their probationary period in Spring 2020, Penn State has issued guidance regarding a one-year extension due to COVID-19.
- Penn State has extended remote course delivery through at least the end of the Spring 2020 semester.
- All 67 counties in Pennsylvania are under a Stay at Home Order through April 30, 2020. All Penn State campus operations are aligned with this order.
- Visit remoteteaching.psu.edu for tips, training, and FAQs related to remote instruction. Review the site regularly to see recent updates.
- Visit hr.psu.edu/covid-19-coronavirus to review guidelines and FAQs for University faculty and staff. Penn State Human Resources will update this webpage regularly, so bookmark it for easy access to the most current information.
- Penn State issued guidance to faculty members about academic instruction, grading and evaluation, and the promotion and tenure process as the University responds to the challenges presented by the novel coronavirus.
- Optional “alternative grading” plans have been implemented for Spring 2020 for undergraduate, graduate, Penn State Law, and Dickinson Law students.
- Until further notice, the University is not approving new Visiting Scholar applications.
- Human Resources has extended the timeline for the 2019-2020 staff performance management cycle.
- The U.S. Department of Education presented a webinar on “FERPA and Virtual Learning During COVID-19.” View the slide presentation to review information that may be useful to faculty.
- See the Penn State Faculty Affairs News list (below on this webpage) for links to more important news stories for University faculty.
- For up-to-date information on all University actions related to the COVID-19 crisis, visit psu.edu/virusinfo.
Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
The Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs works closely with the Executive Vice President and Provost in areas including faculty development, leadership training, promotion and tenure, executive searches and reviews, and other issues related to academic personnel and their concerns. The Vice Provost also serves as the Provost’s contact person for the Big Ten Academic Alliance, the academic arm of the Big Ten Conference, and the University Faculty Senate in issues relating to faculty affairs, and is the liaison for the Provost and President to University deans and chancellors.
Penn State Faculty Affairs News
- NEW: Penn State issues faculty guidance on academic questions related to coronavirus
- NEW: University leaders answer faculty, staff questions during virtual town hall about impacts of coronavirus crisis
- NEW: Penn State extends remote course delivery through spring semester
- NEW: Faculty, staff to work remotely through spring semester, when possible
- Laura Guertin is 2020 recipient of President’s Award for Excellence in Academic Integration
- Ten faculty named 2020 Distinguished Professors at Penn State
- Penn State’s new visiting scholar policy takes effect
(Visit the new Visiting Scholars webpage for additional information.)
- 2020-21 Administrative Fellows Program open for applications
(Visit the Administrative Fellows page for additional information.)
- Nominations open for President’s Award for Excellence in Academic Integration
- Nominations sought for 2020-21 Penn State Laureate
- Penn State establishes new policy on visiting scholars
- Nominations now open for Evan Pugh University Professorships
- Penn State announces promotions for nontenure-line faculty, effective July 1, 2019
- Penn State announces promotions in academic rank for tenure and tenure-line faculty, effective July 1, 2019
- Six Penn State faculty receive Fulbright Awards for 2019-20
- Five Big Ten Academic Alliance Department Executive Officer (DEO) Fellows named for 2019-20
- Six named 2019-20 Big Ten Academic Alliance Academic Leadership Program (ALP) Fellows
- Three selected as Administrative Fellows for 2019-20 academic year
- William J. Doan, professor of theatre, named 2019-20 Penn State Laureate
- Michael Berkman is 2019 recipient of President’s Award for Excellence in Academic Integration
- Ten faculty members named 2019 Distinguished Professors at Penn State
- New Red Folder Initiative to aid faculty, staff in helping distressed students
- Penn State announces fixed-term faculty promotions, effective July 1, 2018
- Mohamad A. Ansari, associate professor of mathematics at Penn State Berks, named University Faculty Ombudsperson
- Three selected as Administrative Fellows for 2018-19
- Penn State announces promotions in academic rank for tenured and tenure-line faculty, effective July 1, 2018
- John Champagne named 2018-19 Penn State Laureate
- Four faculty members honored with Evan Pugh University Professorships
- Big Ten Academic Alliance names Penn State’s 2018-19 Academic Leadership Fellows and Department Executive Program Fellows
- Penn State announces 2018 University-wide faculty and staff awards
- New Penn State Policies page launched